How to Measure Your Wrist for Antique and Vintage Bracelets
Whether it's vintage sterling silver bangles, charm bracelets, victorian crossovers, vintage cuffs, antique wraps, panel link bracelets and that art deco bracelet watch which you have been eyeing for some time, you want to make sure you get the correct fit. So how can you be certain of your size and the size to get?
Here's How to Measure your Wrist to find Your Size:
- Take a piece of string or a strip of paper about a 1/4″ wide.
- Wrap the string around your wrist at the widest part which is usually the wrist bone. The fit should be snug but not tight.
- Mark the string or paper just where it overlaps to form a complete circle around your wrist
- With a ruler, measure the length of string or paper to determine your size.
The key is to allow some room about 1/2" or more depending on your preference so the bracelet is comfortable. For example, if your wrist is a size 7 then a link bracelet at 7-1/2" (7.5) size will fit with a little more room. On the other hand (no pun intended), you may want a wristwatch to fit snug so the size would be the same as your wrist size.
For Bangle Bracelets, the measurement of your hand is needed. You want to accommodate for your knuckles, and have the bangle slide off and on with ease.
- Position your hand as if you are putting a bangle, with your thumb extended across your palm and reaching towards your pinky finger.
- Carefully wrap a measuring tape or string around your hand’s widest part at the knuckles and thumb. Again, with a ruler, measure the length of the string or use the number where the measuring tape overlaps. This is your hand size. The average size bangle which is about a size 7 has an inside opening of 2-1/2". Larger bangles are typically 2-5/8".
For Bracelets with box or hidden clasps, it's good to get the measurements from the closed inside circumference. Many lengths are measured from one end of the clasp to the other insert end. But when a bracelet with a box or hidden clasp is closed, it is a smaller size.
Ordering the right size bracelet makes for a happy experience!